Frequently Asked Questions
What is the purpose of the wellness groups?
- The purpose of the groups is to offer pregnant women a time and place to meet and engage in enjoyable activities with other pregnant women.
What is the purpose of the research study?
- The purpose of the study is to investigate the effects of wellness programming on women’s well-being during pregnancy and the postpartum period.
Is any previous experience required?
- There is no requirement for previous experience for any of the activities that you might participate in.
What are the activities?
- Potential activities include: nutrition, arts and crafts, mindful meditation, relaxation exercises, gardening, gentle stretching. Participants do not get to select the activities they are assigned to participate in. However, if you have any concerns about any of the activities please discuss this with us.
Who is running the group?
- The groups are facilitated by clinical psychology students from Lakehead University, who are supervised by Dr. Mazmanian, a registered Clinical Psychologist.
- The lead group facilitator on this project is Carley Pope, M.A. She is also the graduate student investigator on this project. Carley’s is very excited about the opportunity to work on this project.
- Carley will always be the one of the facilitators at the group sessions. For all sessions, another female co-facilitator or female research assistant will accompany Carley.
Will I need to share a lot of personal details about myself with other group members?
- At the beginning of the group sessions you will be asked to share your first name with other group members to help group members get acquainted. You are not required to share any details with other group members that you are not comfortable disclosing, nor are you asked to share a lot of intimate details about yourself. These programs are meant to be a positive experience for all members. When you come, most of the time is spent engaging in specific activities and the discussion is centered on the topic of that activity. Participants may talk about their experience with the activities as much or as little as they like.
Where are the groups held?
- Currently, the groups are held at ‘Insight’ [594 Memorial Avenue] or ‘Lakehead University’ [955 Oliver Road].
When are the groups held?
- The days and times that the groups are held vary based on participant availability and registration. When you register, we will ask you how many weeks pregnant you are and what your availability is. This way we can try to schedule the group at a time that will work for all interested participants. We may also propose tentative start dates on our websites.
How long are the groups?
- Each session is an hour and a half long. There are four sessions total included with each program that happen once a week for four consecutive weeks.
I may have to miss a session; can I still participate?
- Yes, you can still participate if you miss a session. We hope you can attend all sessions but realize that this is not always possible. If you do need to miss a session, we will ask that you call us to let us know, so we know you are okay.
Does it cost me anything to participate?
- The groups are offered to participants free of charge.
How are the groups funded?
- The study that the groups are run through is supported through research grants awarded by Women’s College Hospital, Lakehead University, and the Canadian Psychological Association.
Do you help with transportation costs?
- We are able to help with some transportation costs for those participants who require assistance. If you require assistance in order to attend the sessions, please do not hesitate to bring this to the attention of one of our team members before you start the group.
How long do the questionnaires take?
- The questionnaires take approximately 40 minutes to complete and you are asked to complete them at four time points (before and after the program and twice after your baby is born). The questionnaires can be completed on a computer from your home or we can mail you a hard copy.
Can you tell me about the gift cards?
- To show our appreciation for your help with the study, all participants will receive a $10 Tim Horton’s gift card when they complete the study. As well, each time a participant comes out to a group meeting or completes a survey, they will have the option to be entered into a draw to win one of four $50 Visa gift cards. This draw takes place at the conclusion of the study.
I am interested but I do not think I am eligible, is there any way I can still participate?
- If you are a pregnant woman in the Thunder Bay area and are interested in the program please contact us to discuss your eligibility at email@example.com
I am interested in the program but have a personal concern that I believe will interfere with participating.
- We strive to make this program accessible. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your concerns and if it is possible, we will do our best to meet your needs so you can participate in this program.
I am interested in the program. What is the next step?
- If you are interested in the program, the next step is to register and provide us with the days and times that you would be available to attend the group.
- There are a couple of ways that you can register. You can email email@example.com or register directly through our website at https://mommymattersproject.com/register/
- Once you register a study team member will contact you to provide you with details about upcoming sessions and can answer any other questions you may have at that time. Usually within 24 hours.
I have a question. Who can I contact?
- If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a service provider. Do you have any materials available that I can distribute to my pregnant clients or patients?
- We have a letter for service providers as well as pamphlets and posters you can share with your patients or clients. We also have a sharable social media advertisement for your social media network. We are happy to send any of these materials out to you. Please email us at email@example.com today with your mailing address.